The "Molecular Conceptor Learning Series" is an innovative, computer-based learning solution that aims to bring together, in a ready-digested format, knowledge of medicinal chemistry, drug design, cheminformatics, structural bioinformatics and molecular modeling, necessary to the skills, techniques and approaches used by a drug discovery team as a whole. It provides all the information needed by the medicinal chemist to allow him to analyze, understand and make informed decisions concerning the design of a drug, thus enabling them to contribute effectively to the drug discovery process. The Learning Series comprises five computer-based learning modules each of which, are designed to give students and professionals in the drug discovery field the comprehensive training necessary to face even the toughest drug design challenges.
Every module of the Learning Series presents a variety of drug discovery-related topics by starting from basic principles and expanding to more in-depth detail. Using interactive 3D technology, practical examples and many case studies, the concepts, methodologies and techniques used in drug discovery are brought to life.
The Molecular Conceptor Learning Series uses a range of didactic techniques. The theoretical background and concepts behind each topic are presented and then illustrated using many examples and authentic case studies. To facilitate comprehension, the Molecular Conceptor Learning Series uses the power of interactive multimedia technologies including visualization and manipulation of 3D molecules, flash animation and text narration. Each chapter concludes with a series of quiz questions, which can be used as an informal means of continual assessment. Here, some more of these features are described:
1. Interactive 3D molecules : One of the key features of the Molecular Conceptor Learning Series is the ability to visualise molecules in 3D as well as 2D. This is of paramount importance in drug design and molecular modeling for understanding the subtle recognition and discrimination processes of the molecular machinery. Many browsers in the package help to enhance visualisation of the many presented examples and case studies.
2. Organize your course in your own way and launch customized presentations: The Molecular Conceptor Learning Series allows you to select and order the pages that you wish to concentrate on or include in a particular lecture or presentation, therefore creating a bookmark specific to a topic. As there is the option to share bookmarks with others, you could create a bookmark of “directed study” for your students or share a bookmark with a colleague.
3. Self-learning : The Molecular Conceptor Learning Series is particularly suited for self-learning, whether you are a student, a teacher or a medicinal chemist. You can refresh your understanding, familiarize yourself with the field, or integrate this knowledge in a broader sense with your particular activities.
Molecular Conceptor includes the following:
- Quizzes (for teaching package only)
4. Further References : The Molecular Conceptor Learning Series presents the concepts and gives you a global vision of the topic with clearly organised material. Should you want further information, each topic provides access to internet links or references of articles and books.
5. Print Hand-Outs : You may print hand-outs for the students from the bookmarks you create, so they can take notes during the lesson. Just click on "print current bookmark", a feature that has the following options:
- 6 slides on each page
- 3 slides on each page
- 3 slides with notes
6. Customized Display : Because the Molecular Conceptor Learning Series was designed for a broad range of applications including self learning, teaching and research purposes, we have created a flexible user interface environment that can be adapted to your particular needs. One may view a page with or without the text, title, navigation tree or voice.